First, I'd like to send a kiss and a hug to Kim, because she's been really sick today. Her day has been more miserable than my whole two weeks at Microsoft, I think. I hope you get better soon! Fortunately, she is in the very capable hands of Kirk and Nan (her parents), whom I hear are (of course) taking excellent care of her.
As for me, the past few days have been rough, again -- sometimes okay, sometimes not. Getting hit by a car (I prefer "nudged" or "kissed" by a car) on Thursday didn't help. Missing work and particularly the *big* Windows division-wide team meeting in Seattle on Friday because I was in the ER getting a CAT scan for vertigo (possibly related to said car accident) didn't help, either. Although in other news, I do have a brain that is apparently fine. And, incidentally, the ER doctor, much like my wife, insisted that I was indeed "hit" by a car, despite it merely knocking my feet out from under me. I still contend that "hit" is an overstatement. : p
Today, too, has been a mix. In my weaker moments, I actually called and caught up with by old boss Mike (*gasp* -- now there's a cry for help : ) , looked at houses in Tucson, and looked at job postings in Tucson. Not really helpful. But, then I did some Goog... er, Binging!, and came across an interesting and somewhat controversial blog entry that gave me some strength: Why it's smart to quit a job after just two weeks of work. But don't worry, it's the article comments that helped, not the blog proper. One person's comments, in particular, who said that "I have hated every job I have ever had for at least the first 3 weeks, going home and moaning 'why did I do this?' There's an adjustment period, even with great jobs. Some of us handle them better than others." It's always nice to know that while I may, in fact, be alone at the moment, I'm not alone, and that the light at the end of the tunnel may be that rare Seattle sun instead of the woefully needed light rail. : )
In other positive news, today I found an aquarium/pet store that isn't half bad (though still doesn't touch San Diego or Salt Lake City stores), kind of have my bearings as to what is where and more or less how to get there-ish, and I found a really cute stucco-exterior house in a cute neighborhood closer to places where Kim would probably work! Oh, and my vertigo is getting better, too.
So, is anybody else tired of my bellyaching? Yes? Well, too bad, because I'm pretty sure I'm not done yet! ; ) But lucky for you, I am for this blog post. And, coincidentally, that also concludes this post. : )
I hope you all are doing great!
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bellyache all ya want! :-] It helps!
ReplyDeleteAww, Kim's sick?! :-[ :-[ :-[ I should [finally] have time to give her a call tomorrow. We can talk, too, if ya like. (I know there's some way of doing a three-way call with Verizon...but I'm not sure how.)
Glad your vertigo is better...though, it's still a scary thing to think about.
Is Mike going bonkers yet?
I skimmed the article you lined and read some of the comments, and I have to agree with you. There were a lot of pretty good comments...while the article itself seemed kinda...naive.
Yay, for decent pet stores! And ooh, stucco house! Kinda like the ones down here, or is it a different style?
Yeah, Kimi's sick. She said she's feeling somewhat better today, but still not back to normal. I'm sure she'd love a call! Three-way calling's pretty easy (so I'm told), just dial the second number while on the first line, press Send, and once the other person answers, press Send again.
ReplyDeleteIt turns out the vertigo is still present after having laid down for a while (as with sleeping). It may be BPPV, but I'm no doctor.
Mike actually is holding up fine, two weeks later. Of course, nothing's gone wrong yet. The new person (a current UA employee not yet hired at Physics) sounds like they may work out, which would be good. Apparently they're talking about increasing automation in the department. They'll have a challenge improving the lab much, but the staff machines could use it.
Yeah, the article sounded like she was trying to make herself feel better about the situation. I suppose there are a few situations that would justify leaving after two weeks, but I just try to imagine how it would look on the "Why did you leave this job?" line on a job application.
Yes, a stucco house! See here: http://www.johnlscott.com/propertydetail.aspx?GroupID=217723318&ListingID=300328873 . It's much like the ones in Tucson; the composition roof is the biggest difference. It even has an archway in the entryway to the kitchen!
Ooooooh!!!! Okay, if you guys don't want that house, I'll take it!!! Too bad there's no way I'd be able to get a loan of any decent size....
ReplyDelete