Friday, March 19, 2010

Forgetfulness & Bravado

It's amazing what you can forget in 6 years. For instance, a bit less than six years ago, Kim and I were just married and moving to Tucson. At the time, our new home of Tucson definitely didn't feel like it. It was an intimidating, foreign place, and I was homesick for a place where I had no home. We knew nobody there, and the future (including things like jobs, money, schooling, and housing) was very uncertain. That first year was ... unpleasant.

But then it got better. We fell in love with the desert, fell deeper in love with each other, got up on our feet, got jobs, found a decent place to rent, (eventually) made some great friends, and finished our degrees. Life was stable. Tucson was home, and it felt like it. The saguaros had long since become our friends.

Of course, I'd forgotten how difficult the move to Tucson was before I moved to Seattle. I gave lip service to how difficult it would be. Now, I'm being given a thorough refresher on just how bad it really is. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I think it would be easier than the move to Tucson if Kim were here, as we are a bit older and wiser now. But without her, it's painful. Home is where your heart is, and my heart is in Tucson. I'm terribly homesick and a bit emotionally fragile right now.

The pain is greatly eased when I'm with Kim on the webcams (thank goodness for those), but at work, in a foreign and confusing work environment in a foreign place, it's a challenge to keep my emotions in check. Throwing myself into the work is the best defense, but that itself is difficult.

I love the ocean, pine trees, ivy, moss, and clouds. I even like rain. But the hot sun, the smell of creosote, the sight of a rattlesnake sheltering beneath a blooming ocotillo nestled in a stand of saguaros, all backdropped by low mountains, a vivid blue sky, and a brewing monsoon... that is home.

Perhaps one day, they'll both feel like home.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Scott, in a few months this will be all behind you. Kim will be there along with all your animals and you two can start again. I think you will look back on this the way you talk about Tucson. We are so proud of you! Give 'em Hell!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kirk! I really appreciate the support you and Nan give.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really annoying how, even when we have some bad times, as the years go by, those bad times tend to fade from memory...until something else drags them up.

    Despite that I'm not looking forward to both of you being gone, I wish Kim could spend more time up there with you. I bet that would help a ton. :-] In the meantime, though, we need to find a way to sneak a snake up there to you. :-]

    At any rate, I hope that you guys can find a house while Kim's up there. Having a place to call home instead of a temporary apartment should make the transition a bit easier too....

    Hang in there! And let us know if you want to play Pictionary (more like MST3K Pictionary with us goobers), checkers, battleship, the ever-amusing Pig, or kicking all our butts at chess. Or anything else, for that matter. :-]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Krystal! I'm always up for some play time. When Kim gets back (*sniff*), we'll have to do that again!

    ReplyDelete