What week are we on now? Let's see... week #11 here, folks. And still sucking. Bad. Some days are better than others, but the emotional range is still "I could be happy for a few years here before going back home" to "This was all a big mistake!". Not exactly a fabulous place to be, especially since I know we're not going anywhere quite a while: we have bought a house! Currently it's big and empty, but I know Kim will fix that up in no time... or, 2.5 months, anyway. Barely halfway... if I ever say this wasn't so bad, please hit me. Hard.
Right now, the best thing I can say about moving here early is that I didn't end up with the windowless corner office across from the bathrooms shared with two other people. Instead, I got a different windowless corner office shared with one other person... but it could clearly be worse.
On a more positive note, since the TSA took away my butterknives (because they were "serrated" -- give me a break, my keys are more serrated!), I have discovered that pizza cutters are actually incredibly versatile. In particular, you can make grilled cheese sandwiches start to finish using only a pizza cutter as your only utensil. It can slice cheese, spread butter, and cut the sandwich into wedges once grilled. Plus, if you neglect your sammies while cooking them, it can also be used to scrape off charcoal! Okay, so a spatula is still recommended, but you can also use your fingers (carefully).
I am sure looking forward to going home this weekend. Since home is where your heart is, this place is still just a house until Kim shows up! I wish everyone well and appreciate all your support. I hope you've had a great Memorial Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aww, I thought maybe things were going a little better. :-[
ReplyDeleteHey, cool, your office is like most grad student offices! (I use "cool" loosely.) You should paint a picture of a window showing a nice, sunny day outside and hang it on your office wall. Get up and gaze out of it wistfully every so often to freak out the officemate.
Your description of the versatile pizza cutter on the phone/Skype almost made me fall out of my chair with laughter.
Can't wait to see you again this weekend!