Sunday, July 25, 2010

Are we there yet?

At least for me, this is still all so surreal. I feel like I've been apart from Kimi for ages! My visits to Tucson are like brief visits to Candyland in a dream I know will end soon, a brief respite from a life otherwise on hold, foggy and grey. Returning to Seattle is repeated lesson that all dreams (like all good things, they say) come to an end. When a world that lets me connect to Kim with cell phones and Skype, I don't think I'd have fared well in an earlier era. I am entirely confident that I would've shown up on our porch within a week of leaving, trying to mend our old life back together. I am also certain that I never want a job that would require much traveling alone.

I am anxious for this section of my life to come to a close. I am really excited to have Kimi coming up soon(ish)! Simultaneously, I am sad to be saying goodbye to Tucson. In fact, rather than goodbye, I prefer to think of it as "see you soon".

Kim said something that really stuck with me the other night. She said that I did undergrad in Utah and grad school in Arizona, but grew up in Tucson. I agree: I have done far more growing up in Tucson than I ever did in Lindon (this almost applies to my height, too : ). Wisdom is an odd thing - it's like hiking a mountain with a peak you'll never reach. There comes a point where despite knowing that you're higher than you used to be, you realize that those further along the trail have a perspective that you simply can't yet imagine. That's also the point where you can finally appreciate the advice of your elders.

Just two weeks now until I fly down to our duplex for the last time and see Kimi defend the culmination of years of work. Two weeks.

Are we there yet?

2 comments:

  1. It's surreal on this end, too. Despite that I was here the first couple years without you guys, I can't really imagine going back to that. (Though, knowing me, it'll feel like normal after a couple weeks.)

    Kim the Sage.... (No pun intended with respect to Sage, the dog.) She makes an incredibly good point. Made me think of these past five years and what it all means (not that I figured out what it all means, but at least I thought about it). :P

    Two weeks. Sheesh. Part of me thinks it has gone too fast, and part of me realizes it's been a while.... Mrf.

    Dude, you should be the one writing these BG stories. Your metaphors are nigh poetic. Mine are usually pretty crappy. ;-]

    ReplyDelete