Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring…at last!

Well, I survived my first Washington winter…barely.  The cold wasn’t terrible, but I am not great with the short days and lack of sunshine.  I am going to have to get creative in the future to make my winters a little more tolerable here.  Thanks everyone for the phone calls and encouragement….I wouldn’t have made it through without you.  Really, really, thank you.  For the first time in months, I am feeling good.  It helps that I just spent a week with mom and dad in St. George soaking up the sun and 70 degree weather.  Sage flew down with me and did quite well on the airplane.  She loved having my parents dogs to play with!!!  We both had a really great time. 

Sage and Me

The yard is showing signs of life!  My Japanese maples, which I love so much, are just starting to put out leaves. 

maple

All the hard work of planting bulbs last fall is also paying off!  The crocus are in full bloom right now and the daffodils and tulips are right behind.  I smile every time I come home to my beautiful flowers.  The perennials in my yard are also showing signs of life and should be growing strong in a few weeks.

yard

I actually had to mow the lawn for the first time today!  The few patches that are a alive were getting tall (the people who previously owned this house for 5 years did nothing, I mean NOTHING to the yard, not even mowed the grass, so it is in pretty bad shape).  I hope by fall our lawn looks a bit better.  Now I would like to get a few garden beds set up and get my vegetable garden planted at the beginning of April.  I am also building a chicken coop and going to get 3 chickens (I know, like I need more pets).  I just feel like since I have mammals, reptiles, and amphibians, I might as well add some birds.  : )  More pictures to come!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, bloggy goodness!

    Glad you're feeling better! I always feel bad when I can't think of ways to cheer ya up....

    Cool pictures, too! That's a great one of you and Sage.

    Mmm, tulips. I do miss tulips down here. They're one of my favorite flowers. (I am not known to tiptoe through them, however.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just talking to me helps. Sometimes, just knowing someone cared was all that could be done to help me. : )

    ReplyDelete