Three days ago we went and got our chicks from the feed store. They are all Easter egg chickens (they usually lay blue or green eggs but can also be other colors). They were somewhere between 1 to 3 days old when we got them and when this picture was taken. They are even more adorable in person : )
Their names are Daffodil, Tulip, Marigold, and Iris. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to enjoy them as chicks for very long. By the time they are 4 to 6 weeks old, they will be fully feathered and ready to move outside. So, time to start work on a chicken coop. My coop is going to be a hen house with a fenced in yard for them to live in so both indoors and out they will be protected from predators (we have lots around here!). When I can be outside with them, I will also let them run around in the yard and eat bugs and whatever else they can find. Today I finished drawing plans for the coop and went to home depot to pick up the first load of lumber for the foundation, framing, and roof. Loading and unloading all that lumber twice was enough work for today, so I will start construction tomorrow.
This is a good “before” shot of the area where the coop goes. Tomorrow, I will start by cleaning the area up, leveling it, and building the foundation, then will start framing the walls. Thank goodness for all the time I spent in my dad’s workshop growing up! I have a good idea of what I am doing and a great reference for all of my questions!
The little chicks are SO CUTE!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's kinda funny.... Dad built buildings and later sold buildings for over 30 years...and I have no clue how to build a building! XD It's totally awesome you're building it yourself.